How can code enforcement laws be changed in San Bernardino and Riverside Counties?

By Michael Reiter, Attorney at Law.

How can code enforcement laws be changed in San Bernardino County and Riverside County?   There are legal and political answers to this question.

Ordinances can be adopted, amended or repealed by City Councils or Town Councils.  The exact manner can depend on the composition of the Council and whether it is a general law or charter law municipality.  Similarly, an election might be held to amend or repeal a particular ordinance.  The processes also depend on whether the municipality is governed by general law or governed by a charter.  That is the simple legal answer.

The political answer is that either an elected official, or perhaps an appointed official like a city manager, has to propose a new or modify or repeal and existing ordinance by following the process in the Government Code or the City Charter, as applicable.  Similarly, if elected officials will not take action, individuals or groups can qualify an initiative or referendum to change code enforcement laws.  That is the simple political answer.

When I was a Deputy City Attorney for the City of San Bernardino, someone in the north end of town received a citation for not taking his trash cans in promptly.  This was before the implementation of administrative citations.  He complained that he just wanted to pay the fine and not appear in court on a $100 citation.  I told him that I understood, but that it was a political issue, and that I did not have the authority, as a city lawyer, to change the ordinance.

The first step I would take if I wanted to change an existing code enforcement law would be to contact my city council member.  If I lived in a city with wards, I would contact that city council member.  If I lived in a city with at-large council members, I would call the council member I was most familiar.  If that didn’t work, I would call the Mayor.  If that did not work, I would then consider an initiative or referendum.

Should you hire a lawyer to have the municipal code changed?  Sometimes that is a cost-effective solution, or if not cost-effective, a way to change something you want changed.  However, no attorney will guarantee that you will get your money’s worth. Discuss it with an attorney skilled in dealing with municipalities.

There are two, more complex, legal and political ways that code enforcement laws can change in California.  Get the California Legislature to change state law preempting local law, or challenge an ordinance in court.  Most municipal ordinances are constitutions, but occassionlly,a court rules an ordinance is preempted by state law, outside the local agencies’ powers, or violates the United States or California constitution.

The information you obtain at this blog is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established by reading or commenting on this blog.  You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.

Milligan, Beswick, Levine & Knox, LLP
A: 1447 Ford St. #201
      Redlands, CA 92374
T: (909) 296-6708

About Michael Reiter, Attorney at Law
Michael Reiter is a Redlands, California-based lawyer, serving San Bernardino County and Riverside County in Southern California's Inland Empire. Michael Reiter is a lawyer practicing in the following fields of law: Municipal Law, Code Enforcement Law, Small Business Law and Real Estate Law. Michael Reiter practices in all the local courts, including San Bernardino Superior Court, Riverside Superior Court, and the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Michael Reiter was admitted to the California State Bar in 1998. Michael Reiter was Assistant City Attorney for the City of Redlands, a Deputy City Attorney for the City of San Bernardino, and Staff Attorney for Legal Aid Society of San Bernardino. Michael Reiter serves all of San Bernardino and Riverside County, Orange County, and Los Angeles County. Michael Reiter can be reached at (909) 296-6708, or by electronic mail at 300 E. State St. #517 Redlands CA 92373-5235

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: