New Campaign Literature from City Attorney James F. Penman and Challenger David McKenna
October 13, 2011 Leave a comment
At the City Attorney forum at the Rotary Club of San Bernardino both candidates handed out literature, including a door hanger (front, back) from City Attorney Jim Penman, and a campaign mailer (page 1, page 2, page 3, and page 4) from challenger David McKenna.
The front of City Attorney Jim Penman’s door hanger is similar to his earlier mailers. It has the same picture of his granddaughter featured on his first mailer. It has the same picture of Jim and Judi Penman from the second mailer. It has the same picture of his son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren featured on his 2009 Mayoral website. It has the same pictures of City Attorney Penman as a firefighter and as Executive Director of the Home of Neighborly Service featured in earlier campaigns. The back is a detailed exposition of the watchdog campaign theme with new information. It reads:
Vote Nov. 8th for City Attorney
YOU, THE VOTERS;
–NOT TO THE POLITICIANS!
- Last year under Penman’s leadership, the City won 18 lawsuits, lost only 2 and settled 8 on terms favorable to the city. (201o)
- Last year City Attorney Investigators collected over $1 million in Civil Penalties, mostly from Banks and Mortgage Companies and brought 256 slum properties into compliance with City Codes. (2009-2010)
- The City Attorney’s Office is currently investigating four allegations of Council Members being involved in political corruption. (2011)
- One Council Member has already resigned as a result of the investigations. (Feb. 2011)
- Other elected officials have retaliated by trying to remove the City Attorney Investigators’ arrest and citation powers from the San Bernardino Municipal Code. (on-going)
- Penman exposed bribery and racketeering activities of four San Bernardino City Council Members (1995) – Jim pursued them for ten years, until they pled guilty. (2005)
- Over the last 13 years, three Council Members have resigned while under investigation by Penman’s Office. (1998-2011)
KEEP PENMAN, THE VOTERS’ CITY ATTORNEY!
To Contact Jim Penman Call (909) 882-8986 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
On the front page, David McKenna’s campaign flier has a quote next to a picture of David McKenna: “The City Attorney should be your defender . . . not a politician.” “As Your City Attorney, I pledge to get rid of the dirty politics and focus only on protecting the interests. The second page has a quote from the recently retired San Bernardino Police Chief Keith Kilmer, who fought with City Attorney Penman. “David McKenna is a superior attorney with the highest ethical standards.[“] “His experience and integrity will serve the city well as our next City Attorney.” The second page has his resume, and the third page has his campaign platform. The back page has a quote from Senior Pastor Ray Turner of the Temple Missionary Baptist Church which says “San Bernardino needs David McKenna. He will put an end to the political in-fighting and unify our city government.”
The back page gives contact information for challenger David McKenna. The phone number is listed as (909) 264-9021, his email as David@votemckenna.com. It also has a website and a Facebook page. At the date of this writing, his Facebook wall is only open to people who friend him.
The information you obtain at this blog is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is established by reading or commenting on this blog. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.